Cash Advance Guidelines
For Main Campus departments, and Branches, Travel Advances have been replaced by PCard Cash Advance, in cases where there is an appropriate need to obtain cash while traveling. You must submit a Cash Advance Exception Request for all PCard Cash Advances. This applies to travel being funded by unrestricted funds. If your travel is being funded by a contract or grant, contact the Contract and Grant Accounting office for the proper procedure.
Listed below are the requirements and expectations for obtaining cash, and accounting for cash expenditures.
- Cash may only be obtained to make payments if that is the only acceptable means of payment.
- Meal money (per diem) to be distributed to student-athletes, or other students traveling on behalf of UNM.
- All individuals must sign a meal money log, documenting the amount they received.
- Meal per diem for staff or faculty on extended travel, defined as GREATER THAN seven (7) days.
- Employees MAY NOT charge their individual, personal meals directly on their PCard.
- Expenses for which cash is the only acceptable or possible method of payment.
- Such as expenses associated with travel to remote areas when PCard usage is not practical or possible.
- Travelers should be prepared to provide documentation of cash being the only method of payment.
- PCard should be used to pay directly for expenses whenever possible.
- With the exception of personal meals, as noted above.
- The Cardholder is responsible for obtaining a receipt, or other documentation, to support all cash purchases.
- The cash advance receipt from the bank is not considered supporting documentation.
- Care should be taken to ensure that only the necessary cash be obtained.
- Any unspent cash must be deposited on a Money List immediately upon return from travel.
- Deposit to the Index where the cash advance posted and account code 07ZZ (see here for details).
- Immediately process a JV to move the deposit to the expense account code where the cash advance posted.
- All supporting documentation for the cash advance must be included with the Chrome River reconciliation.
- All receipts or other supporting documentation.
- Signed Meal Money Log.
- Meal per diem details.
- Copy of the Money List and Deposit Receipt for any unspent Cash.